Dissertation Grants General Information
It is with great joy that we share this funding opportunity to apply for an HTI/Lilly Dissertation Grant. In 2017, the Hispanic Theological Initiative (HTI) received a generous grant in the amount of $1.5 million from the Lilly Endowment, Inc., to provide ten HTI Dissertation Scholars the opportunity to compete for a $25,000 fellowship. These fellowships will be available for the next five years. Applicants may begin the application process in late October and all application materials must be in the HTI office on December 15, 2017. Before applying, please carefully read the Dissertation Grant Requirements listed to ensure that you are eligible.*
Dissertation Grant Requirements
- Applicant must be a full-time Latina/o PhD student enrolled as an HTI Scholar by an HTI consortium member institution.
- Applicant must be able to submit evidence of passed comprehensive exams and a full copy of a dissertation proposal/prospectus that has already been approved or that will be approved by February 15th, 2018 (all the other documents would need to be at the HTI office by December 15, 2017). The dissertation proposal/prospectus must show evidence of the engagement of Latina/o subject matters via one or more of the following: ideologies, methodologies, authors, etc.
- In addition to completing the application form, students must upload in the form the following items:
- A professional headshot
- A one paragraph bio
- Curriculum Vitae
- A one page vocational statement
- Copy of the complete dissertation proposal/prospectus, with bibliography
- Proposed writing timeline
- Student must get the following letters to be considered for the grant:
- Letter from student’s advisor, clearly stating support of the student’s dissertation proposal, writing timeline, and what the advisor considers to be the value of the student’s research.
- Letter from a dissertation committee faculty member familiar with the student’s project, stating their commitment to it.
- Registrar’s letter confirming student’s ABD status, if dissertation proposal has been approved already. If not, the applicant need to submit this letter immediately after the proposal is approved and not later than February 15th, 2018.
* Please be informed that if you are also applying for any other grants funded by the Lilly Endowment, Inc. (e.g., the Louisville Institute, or the Forum for Theological Exploration), and are awarded, you will need to relinquish one of the grants. Before doing so we encourage a conversation with HTI executive director. Lastly, HTI Scholars are only eligible to receive one HTI Dissertation Grant during this grant cycle.