HTI Norms for Civil Engagement
- Respecting the knowledge that others share while offering input, critique, and correction respectfully in our teaching/learning spaces, in person, and online.
- Nurturing each other with kindness, noting our mutual vulnerability.
- Maintaining appropriate expectations of confidentiality, in our shared spaces, online, in our written and oral expressions.
- Promoting safe and brave space for each other in person and online, yet having the courage to hear difficult things.
- Listening with compassion, allowing others to complete their thoughts before assessing.
- Avoiding stereotypes, generalizations, and shaming.
- Arguing ideas and refraining from attacking the person in our company or online.
- Maintaining an open mind with the goal of dialogue and a willingness to play.
- Presenting ourselves with authenticity, even when our perspective is in the minority.
- Acknowledging that we are shaped “en conjunto” by culture, family, tradition, and experience.
- Making a commitment to support our opinions with evidence as much as possible.
- Viewing others with grace, recognizing our diverse religious and political (non)beliefs.