Dissertation Grants General Information
In 2017, the Hispanic Theological Initiative (HTI) received a generous grant in the amount of $1.5 million from the Lilly Endowment Inc., to provide HTI Dissertation Scholars the opportunity to compete for ten $22,500 HTI/Lilly Dissertation Fellowships. Due to a collaboration with the Forum for Theological Exploration (FTE), the application process for HTI and FTE will be combined. You would need to open an account through the FTE application web page. Once you create your account, you will have access to the HTI application.
Remember that you must be enrolled by an HTI Member School before you can begin the process for the HTI application. Please carefully read the Dissertation Grant Requirements listed to ensure you are eligible.*
Dissertation Grant Requirements
- Applicant must be a full-time Latinx PhD student enrolled as an HTI Scholar by an HTI consortium member institution.
- Applicant must be able to submit evidence of passed comprehensive exams and a full copy of a dissertation proposal/prospectus that has already been approved. The dissertation proposal/prospectus must show evidence of the engagement of Latinx subject matters via one or more of the following: ideologies, methodologies, authors, etc.
- In addition to completing the application form, students must submit the following items:
- Curriculum vitae
- Three-page academic essay (maximum length, single spaced)
- Academic form (This form will include the date your dissertation proposal was approved)
- Two-page vocational essay (maximum length, single spaced)
- Completed budget statement
- Documentation from your school showing amount of financial assistance to be received
- Two academic letters of reference (one must be a letter from the applicant’s adviser)
- One community letter of reference
- Current official graduate transcripts (mailed or emailed separately)
- One-paragraph biographical profile (maximum length, single spaced)
- Headshot (high-resolution, no selfies)
- Dissertation prospectus and bibliography
- One-page abstract of Dissertation
- Dissertation Committee List: Provide a list of all members on your dissertation committee, indicating the name of the adviser (to be submitted within the application form).
- Writing Timeline
* Please be informed that if you are also applying for any other grants funded by the Lilly Endowment Inc. (e.g., the Louisville Institute, or the Forum for Theological Exploration), and are awarded, you will need to relinquish one of the grants. Before doing so we encourage a conversation with HTI executive director. Lastly, HTI Scholars are only eligible to receive one HTI Dissertation Grant during this grant cycle.